JGray I never took you as being snarky.

I have just seen way too many guys try to do too much too fast. No two bowyers feel and stack the same. I don't mind shooting a heavier bow if it is smooth stacking like a Dan Toelke. The problem is guys worry more about draw weight than form and the endurance to be able to shoot arrows. In my opinion you really should be shooting a minimum of 100 arrows a day. I tend to like to shoot twice a day once in the morning at early light and then again in the evening light. I try to shoot 200 to 300 arrows a day. I start on spot target then shoot the three 3D targets I have. So 100 to 150 arrows in the morning and 100 to 150 in the evening. A 40lb bow with the right arrow and broad head will cleanly and humanly kill an Elk. I think for guys just starting out the 45lb draw is the best place to be. Build the muscles, get good form, and build muscle memory. Once you have that then add weight as you feel needed. I have no doubts in my equipment killing anything I hunt at 48-1/2lb draw. I have a recurve that is 53lb and I don't mind it either.

You can watch guys shooting heavier draw bows and they collapse on every shot. That is sh_tty form and causes a lot of inconsistencies.

Edit: Something I almost forgot too! Guys shooting heavier draw weights string hand are very seldom relaxed and have a clean release. They are way to tense and their release is so heavy on the string. But these aren't things guys getting started know about or think about.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/24/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.