Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
buttstock, I get what you are saying, but I wasn't trying to be manly. I figured 50 was a good middleweight bow.

Anyhoo, the bow already arrived and has already suffered catastrophic failure. It's in the previous posts.

Thanks for the well intended comments anyway.

Since your bow broke so soon after, you should be able to get it replaced, or get a refund. If possible, get a refund, and get the 64" Spyder XL in 30-35#, and practice with it. It is an eady and low cost action to move up to a 40# limb when it is time. You will not read a bad review on this bow. You can draw this bow to over 31" without stacking. It is a great shooting bow. Shoots as well or better than a bow 3-4x it's price-and other shooters report the same thing.

Honestly, do an internet search on "overbowed" + "archery". It's just not men making this recommendation.

Hope you can get a refund on your bow.

https://www.southwestarcheryusa.com...spyder-xl-64-takedown-recurve-bow-parent

John C (owner) at Twig Archery is great to deal with, if you want a personal touch. He will hand select a specific draw weight limb for you at no charge. A 35# limb is 42-43#@30". Very deer huntable. Many threads out there about #40 draw weight and deer hunting

John can also make up xx75 aluminum shaft arrows for you. Maybe Easton Tributes or Jazz. Probably 1916 shafts with 125- 150 grain points will work for you.

http://www.twigarchery.com/64-spyder-xl-1/

The takeaway is that you want to be able to shoot enough with s lighter draw weight to develop good form and habits, that are adaptable to heavier draw weights. Starting with 55# at your draw length is too much, and bad habits will develop. Your draw length will likely increase as you shoot with a lighter nos-wjich is good, and what you want to see as you develop back tension. Get the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera ($20). Outstanding source of information for you.

Check YouTube for "the wedge" series for archery form ( 6? Videos). Fantastic.

Also, videos by Arne Moe and Jimmy Blackmon. Blackmon was National recurve 3d champ a few years back. Recently retired Colonel US Army and commanding officer of 101st airborne division. Amazing man, and great teacher.

Good luck.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."