Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Draw length, especially long draw lengths, demand certain considerations when choosing a bow. Probably 80-85% of our customers draw 28" or less. But for those of us (I draw 31") who draw longer we MUST consider bow length and bow design as a critical matter before choosing which bow to buy. A bow built for 80-85% of the folks may very well not be suitable for the other 15%.

If you want to have some help feel free to call Mike at the shop on Monday.

John

Thanks John. That's good critical information.....grin.

I'll get ahold of 3Rivers on Monday and see what they have to say. I need to back up, regroup, and think before making the next move. I' not ready to just go in for a $1000 ballpark bow just now. The $399 Bear was about all I was willing to spend to get a starter bow. But thanks for the help.

You need to establish a solid anchor point. I anchor with my index finger against the corner of my mouth and my thumb under my jaw. In one picture you posted you are drawing well past that point. Wherever you want to anchor that is comfortable and doesn't get you out of alignment is fine. You can anchor against your ear if that's what you want. I knew one world class shooter who stuck his thumb in his ear.

My point is that wherever you anchor is your draw length and whatever bow you get needs to be designed for that draw length. You should never take a bow designed for a 28-29" draw which would be to your anchor on your mouth,and just draw that bow back past your ear practicing on your strength. It could very well let go at 32-33".

Same thing goes for letting ape arm guys draw a bow trying it out.