remember. Just being a MD doesn’t mean they have more knowledge of every specific field. I can assure you a FNP/PA working in a specialty field knows more about that specialty than most doctors not working in that specific field. I see it every day.

The trick is remembering your training and your personal limitations. Don’t try to be a hero, have humility, and know when to consult people with more experienc or knowledge. That’s why we have specialty trained providers

You would rather have a emergency PA or FNP working on you if your in cardiac arrest than most primary care doctors or a urologist for example. I’m way better at wound repair than most docs I work with in the ER. I do it multiple times every day, they do not do that regularly.

You wouldn’t want someone like me managing your chronic diabetes, heart disease, atrial fibrillation, or hypertension in the office. I’m not experienced in doing that. I was trained in it, and know the disease processes well I assure you. I am not up to date on best practice in managing these things anymore though.

We get a lot of people in the ER that think they know what is wrong because they read it on google or web md. Every once in a while they got it right, but not typically. We can’t start with huge work ups for every complaint, but sometimes it is medically indicated to do so. Knowing the indications and signs/symptoms helps

Almost every simple abscess that comes to the ER says I think I have a spider bite. Its typically not a spider bite I assure you

A ER saying from way back is “ hunting horses, not zebras”. Sometimes there is a zebra out there though and it’s your job to identify it. Sometimes despite your best efforts it will elude you