Originally Posted by Yondering
[quote=MtnBoomer]
If a guy is having special adapters or collars made, you can have an adapter made to shoulder on the muzzle instead of a barrel shoulder; this lets you go with a larger thread size. I've done more than a couple barrels this way myself and machined adapters to match.

I looked at having my barrels set up to index the can of the muzzle, TBAC will thread your barrel specifically so that their brake indexes off the muzzle. The downside is that it is fairly specific to a certain type of muzzle device, limiting your use of different cans, and direct thread mounts (which I prefer). For my uses a locked on threaded collar, turned square is a superior solution, I can use any can or muzzle device with that thread pattern. POI is very repeatable out to the 400 yds I practice at with these rifles. The wide shoulders (in my case on the collars) are critical too a good lockup, something factory threading jobs often skimp on. I've hiked many, many miles in rough country with my hunting rifles (even fell off a log onto my rifle on a frozen pond the other day) and I've never had a can come loose. In contrast, my Tikka CTR, incredibly accurate hammer that it was, had an inadequately small shoulder and my DT cans, including my hunting can, would constantly walk loose just while shooting during range trips.