I can put up with using a thread adapter if I have to, but I'd rather just have the barrel threaded to the final desired pattern if I can. My X-Bolt was easily threaded 5/8x24, the cost to have a good collar permanently installed as a nice, wide shoulder was negligible, so there was no reason to settle for 1/2x28 thread and then adapt up.

I have discussed 1/2x28 threads on .30 cals with TBAC's engineers, and the concern is not hoop stress or belling of the muzzle during firing, it's that with such a small thickness between the thread root and the groove, there's a concern that if you fell or otherwise smacked the can really hard, the high bending moment could cause a fracture through that small thickness. I'm not sure how much of a concern that should be, it's been a while since I did any fracture mechanics calculations like that, but I can see where they are coming from. Using a tightened adapter changes, but doesn't necessarily improve the forces the thread root closest to the shoulder would see in a situation like that.

I don't mind the 1/2x28 thread on my 6.5, it gives nearly 0.1" root to groove thickness, which is an often recommend practical minimum. 9/16x24 gives a similar thickness on .30 cal, and is what I would personally use on something like a Kimber with a bore over 6.5mm. If someone wants to chamber everything 1/2x28 and adapt up, that's fine, it's not what I do, but they'll probably be fine.

Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

Bonus pic of a Ruger 77/44 I had done the same way in 5/8x24.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

That looks handy as heck!!

It is quite handy, it's not my most practical rifle, but it sure is fun, and that was the point. I'll be working on more coated, heavy bullet loads after hunting season, but I have a few good loads already with 305gr cast HPs over CFE Pistol, and 300gr XTPs over Longshot. Shooting some of the XTPs into jugs at 100 yds, I was actually pretty impressed with how much damage those slow, fat slugs did, and the fact that there were bullet fragments in the bottom of the jug (must have opened up fairly well).

The sound level is very tolerable with the can in short configuration, and surprisingly quiet in long configuration.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 10/30/19.