Originally Posted by Rhettsker
Yondering,

So are you saying 1/2x28 threads with a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter is better than threading 9/16 and running a 9/16x24 to a 5/8x24 adapter? This on a T3 30-06 finished at .630

That was the reasoning behind much of the previous questioning as it's been suggested both ways, now by the same guy.

Don't do it! Just do it!. LOL

Now it's 0.050" shoulder is perfect but 0.034" ain't worth a chit. No way you can get proper alignment with that. Screw that adapter on there and it'll be all f'd up crooked.... And of course 9/16 to 5/8 adapters ain't worth a chit. Funny Brownells sells them since they're garbage. Fuggin Brownells anyways. Real rocket surgery ain't it. laugh

Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

I have discussed 1/2x28 threads on .30 cals with TBAC's engineers, and the concern is not hoop stress or belling of the muzzle during firing, it's that with such a small thickness between the thread root and the groove, there's a concern that if you fell or otherwise smacked the can really hard, the high bending moment could cause a fracture through that small thickness. I'm not sure how much of a concern that should be, it's been a while since I did any fracture mechanics calculations like that, but I can see where they are coming from. Using a tightened adapter changes, but doesn't necessarily improve the forces the thread root closest to the shoulder would see in a situation like that.

Yep, that is the concern with small threads that leave a thin muzzle. I've tested that a bit myself, threading scrap barrels and applying some bending load; the concern of fracturing a 1/2"-28 30 cal at the thread root is valid and doesn't take as much load as some might think. It's one of those things, IMO, that's fine right up until it breaks.

The other concern about accuracy is more for precision rifles, a slightly expanded bore from turning the muzzle too thin is not helpful to accuracy, and that's why TB and some others offer 3/4" threads or even larger for some precision rifle stuff. For hunting rifle accuracy though I haven't seen it make enough difference to matter.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
30-06
Barrel measures 0.630"
Suppressor is threaded 5/8-24
Solution? Preferably with no custom work beyond threading.

1/2x28.... good adapter.... rock on....

Schitt ain’t that hard.

You are right about that for sure, this stuff aint that hard. .630" shoulder = use 1/2-28 threads. Not enough shoulder left to do anything else unless you use a custom made adapter to shoulder on the muzzle. The stupid crap about using no shoulder at all isn't worth considering.

The comment about .660" threads above was in reference to what a 9/16-24 thread needs for adequate shoulder.

Also a 9/16-24 to 5/8-24 adapter as shown above is bad juju, they are too thin, minor diameter of 5/8-24 is too close to major diameter of 9/16-24, been there and done that, had it unwind like a spring.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?