Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Mostly our definitions of lower class, middle class, and upper class have changed. Middle class used to mean two to three kids in a bedroom and a purchase of one used car per family, which was parked in the driveway.

Exactly how I remember my childhood. And my parents always identified as middle class.

So for clarity, a family of 5, in a 2 bedroom house with one used car was middle class? Not your perception, step back. Is this on a lot in town? How big is the lot?

From about '61, it was a quarter acre lot in town. Four kids. Three bedrooms, including Mom & Dad. Yep. One car, much of the time. Some might have called it lower middle class, but we never thought of it that way. Thing is, we were always improving. Sometimes from Dad's self - improvement bringing promotions. Sometimes from sweat equity.

Sweat equity.....Now there's a concept that seams to be largely unknown these days.

Yeah, because nobody under the age of 65 knows what sweat equity is? come on dude, if you want to be taken seriously then you need to lose the ad hominems.

I know we are a product of our own experiences, but I was trying to get away from "well i had ...... and the folks up on the hill had....." . Yeah, I had no idea how poor we were when I was a kid till I was in HS. Dad worked, Mom was at home with us kids, and we went to church every week and my folks threw money away at starving pigmies or phillipinos or whatever. I had NO idea what the societal breakdowns were because it never entered my life. That doesn't mean I can't look back and form a more informed opinion on things.

MAGA