Originally Posted by FreeMe
Always an arbitrary call what is middle class. For a lot of people, poor is a state of mind.

I’m a Boomer........

When I was a kid in England if we didn’t light the coal to heat the tank behind the fireplace we had no hot water. My American dad bought a 15yo Austin (rear doors that opened backwards, flip up turns signals in the door posts and you had to hand-crank it to start grin ) We were the only ones in the neighborhood with a car. We all pitched in to help run our fish and chip restaurant. Moved here in my early teens, six of us in a two-bedroom rental home. Dad became disabled early, didn’t qualify for much SS as he had spent most of his working life after WWII in England, we all got by on mom’s income on the sales floor at Sears.

But I was always wealthy, I had PARENTS, committed to each other and to us.

I see the same thing in the kids I teach, some richer, most poorer, material wealth don’t have a lot to do with it, parenting does.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744