[
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
4WD gets mouth-breather idiots in situations where it's difficult to steer and stop, but what do they care- - - - -they're moving! Tow truck drivers love guys with all-wheel drive- - - -they laugh all the way to the bank!
Jerry
Dunno - maybe I fit the mouth breather category - but I've been using our 4wd Dodge with Cummins for 20 years in the high country, and we live remote where muddy/icy/deep snow roads are common every winter, and at times the mud gets deep again during the summer rains. Years in and out we have NEVER needed any sort of tow, and have pulled many other folks down the roads, back onto roads and out of ditches. I owned a tow truck myself then and never got it out of the garage. When it's 75 miles to the grocery store or hospital on icy 2 lane and/or snow deep roads a big 4wd truck is a blessing - never once got us into trouble but certainly spared us a bunch.

This thread has once again reminded me about general perceptions regarding "pickup trucks" - some seem to think a cab with bed behind it makes it a real "truck". Today, many are cars with a bed back there. IMHO, a truck is not that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron