Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Had cheesy grits this morning at a diner. Had cheesy grits this past week right here at home.

I make the 30-minute kind. When they're about half done in the simmering water, I add a tablespoon or so of milk and some dried chives. I salt the water first, so all I need to add at the table are the shredded cheese and some pepper.

Grits are NOT a hot cereal, no matter how many uneducated Yankees say they are. They're a substitute for potatoes, and you dress them with the same things you'd dress hash browns - which does NOT include sugar. Stir in some cheese, or crumbled bacon, or butter, or green onions, some black pepper, or even a bit of garlic powder. But no damn sugar.

I keep reading the "yankee" comment, gotta tell ya, sugar in grits doesn't sound good to me...made cheese and onion grits for lunch today(actually what prompted me to start this thread).

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will be trying some of your suggestions(really like the chicken broth idea)...they are also really good mixed 1:2 with Pilsner malt and then boiled with some Cluster hops...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči