Originally Posted by johnw
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?
Not only monthly, but 'seasonal' rates are becoming even more common and available.. You can save a bundle on those. Which is a good thing because that's what we may be doing when the wife retires..

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?
There's a guy about 40+ miles SSE of me that looks to own about 2-3 acres, has a small shed on it and a concrete pad. Parks his camper there for the summer and lives there.. It's out in the country and on a very scenic road - and he keeps it all mowed and nicely kept. I'd do something like that in a heartbeat - but you're right about finding an area that allows that type of situation..

What you need to do is this: FIRST - find the camper (and style - 5th wheel, TT, slide-in, ) that fits your needs. THEN obtain the proper truck to pull it.. Too many have a truck and then, when they find the camper they like, realize that the truck they have can't pull it - legally.. When it comes to campers - you cannot have too much truck. We're on our sixth camper - and we've got about 25 years experience with 'em..

Last edited by Redneck; 02/20/20.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!