Originally Posted by johnw
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?

I have owned an RV of some sort since I was 17 years old..I worked and lived out of one for years and lived full time in them for many years..I have a pickup camper now because the old Class C(built off the frame) just didn't hold up well on wash boardy roads although perfect for traveling..

1-Yes,nightly RV spaces are spendy at an RV park...Yes,most RV parks have weekly and monthly rates,some with electricity included..I don't use RV parks except for an over nighter to do laundry/get groceries and empty tanks and fill...Mobile home parks are your friend,a lot cheaper then RV spots for monthly rates..Example here:..RV parks here are $395 month plus but the local mobile home parks takes RV's for $225-250 a month...

2-Your own lot works well if that's the only place you want to go..As long as it is considered an RV your free of all that tax and why these tiny homes are so popular for that..Idaho sells RV lots all setup for and RV..Quite popular and inexpensive..

If your going to travel,go small in length..I have had up to a 41 footer,fine if you just travel the hiways and use truck stops for fuel..Easier to get in and out than other stations..My favorite is a small Class C..You can park in a normal spot at Walmart and get around much better than towing a trailer..Had a 35ft Jayco fifth wheel with the front living room and it was nice but a pain to move around and find spots...

Good luck on your new RV..You can't rent in Idaho for the price of RV living..Much cheaper..