I'm sitting in an RV park, in a spot we rented for a month, as I write this. If we want to go out and boondock for a few days, we can pull out and the site is still here when we get back. Cost is twelves bucks a day at the monthly rate.
Travelling with a trailer can be rewarding in many respects. When on the road, we look for National Forest, BLM, or National Parks campgrounds where our geezer passes are accepted and give us half price or free camping. We will stay in a KOA or similar, now and then, just to hook up, have WiFi, and dump tanks.
As far as economics are concerned, you can't pull a trailer to save money unless you are staying at a destination for an extended period. What the trailer gives you are convenience and that "home-away-from-home" feeling.
We have a 26 ft. trailer (30 ft overall) with a slide and pull it with a 1 ton truck. It is roomy enough for two people and small enough to get into most spots. When travelling to matches, it works well although sleeping arrangments may be less than satisfactory for my shooting partner (nice guy, good friend, but I won't let him sleep with me) who has to sleep on the couch. For this type of use or if you have kids or grandkids often, a bunkhouse model might be a better choice.
Towing presents some challenges. I never have as many people pull out in front of me as when I am towing. On every trip, there are several times when I have to hit the brakes, hard, to avoid a collision. Some filling stations make it a challenge to get to the pump. Truck stops are a good option when possible.
We have toyed with the idea of buying a lot as a destination but kind of like the ability to vary our destination. It is a bit of a paradox that we own a campground where we lease permanent sites to our campers. GD