Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It sounds like you're contemplating being a "snowbird"- - - - -north in the summer and south when the snow flies. What part of the country will be "home base"? Do you intend to retain a permanent residence, or become a "full-timer"? There's a definite learning curve to hauling your house around behind you- - - - -backing, getting the rig leveled up in a campground so you don't end up with a headache after sleeping a few hours, and the refrigerator quits working because it's sensitive to tilt. Then there's routine maintenance on tires and wheel bearings, hooking up water and sewage lines properly, learning to pack cabinets so they don't spill during transport, and a few dozen other things you'll haver to learn along the way. No matter how big a rig you choose to tow, it's going to feel cramped compared to even a moderate sized apartment, let alone a house. A truck with enough towing capacity to handle a large trailer will get pretty lousy fuel economy, even when being run bobtailed with the trailer parked. Managing a load-equalizing hitch, trailer brakes, and sway controls is an acquired skill, but one that's necessary to travel safely. Then there's the matter of managing stopping distance and crosswind driving.

Campgrounds- - - - -most state and national parks have campgrounds with good to excellent facilities, and they're usually more reasonably priced than privately owned camps. Most public campgrounds have a maximum number of days you can stay without moving on so someone else can have your spot. A lot of privately run sites have weekly or monthly rates as well as daily fees.

I've been towing trailers of some sort or another, campers, utility trailers, race car haulers, and 18 wheelers, since the mid-1960's. I'm down to 4 utility trailers and one small motorhome at the moment. Have fun!
Jerry

Jerry, you mention a small motor home. What is your read on it as far as size, engine, maintenance, convenience, any thing that you can lend and advise?

Reason that I ask is I’ve recently stumbled across a 24’ Winnebago Navion Model, 2006 year model, Mercedes diesel, propane generator, etc. with 11000 miles on it. It needs a few latches replaced, small stuff, has new Michelin tires all around (the original ones had cracks from sitting) and has one slide out.

Asking price is 34k$ obo.

Much appreciate your (and any others, too) thoughts on small motor homes.
Thanks

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.