I don't believe that renting a trailer to try it out would work, for me. I'm a very large guy, and beds and toilets are gonna have to fit me.

We recently spent 4 dyas/nights in Orange Beach, AL, and the first 2 nights in a motel were great.Then my wife found what we thought was a great deal on a nice resort place. Got there and it was beautiful. Piano player singing 70s tunes in a good voice. Beautiful property, for a behemoth structure.
Dinky little toilet that I couldn't use in an emergency. 5AM both mornings found me heading down to the lobby to use their public toilets that were elevated and elongated.

My old welding partner did it right. He had a 5th wheel with a custom bed, and a custom toilet and shower installed before he pulled it off the lot. His was the trailer that I've spent more time in than any other. And my wife and I could live like that.

Wife and I have tent camped all over the country, and we know how to get comfortable. 10 weeks living out of the back of a Chevy Suburban was common to us in the years that my work was seasonal and I had summers off to play.
Maybe most importantly is that we are both comfortable with the other, and also know how to offer each other "space" in limited surroundings.

I will either maintain my present home, in Illinois or possibly find another in NE Iowa, or SW Wisconsin. The present home has the advantage of being paid off, with low taxes.

Another attractive area to buy a place is near LBL in TN/KY. The places listed online that I think I can afford don't seem encouraging. But I well remember my dad's agony over having a mortgage on a $14,000 dollar home, with a $108 monthly payment.
But I don't intend to live forever, and recognize that I am entering the endgame scenario.

Appreciate all replies and advice. Thanks...

"Chances Will Be Taken"