Originally Posted by 1minute
New at this as well, having purchased a trailer last spring. Cookie loves it, and I'd still be happy with a tent as thing are less of a hassle. We do mostly bush whacking which is dirt cheap (free) here in the west. Commercial camp sites are nice with all the facilities and hookups, but the prices damn near reach motel rates.

Our present issue is minimal battery life. Have two 12-volts, and with the unit sitting unoccupied and all turned off, they discharge in about 3 days. Even with the batter disconnect there are hardwired implements like smoke and CO detectors that are a constant drain. Need to take a day with someone that knows the trade and see if we can find the bleed or determine if we just have crappy batteries. Planning on switching over to two 6-volts in series, and then eventually going to lithium units.

Back to the OP: A generator can be another significant expense as well.

1minute,

have you tired one of those solar battery maintainers?

I lived in an RV 8 months a year for 8 years or so until I retired in 2107. It kept enough of a charge on my motorhome battery it would start right up, Still using it to keep the tractor battery "topped up".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?