The percentage of bucks taken in archery season continues to increase each year. Longer seasons, or the inclusion of crossbows, take your pick as to which is the greater influence? For my money, full inclusion of cross bows is the primary reason for that increase.

Biggest advantage of using a cross bow over any other sort of archery tackle, is the ease of "mastery". Factor in the amount of time needed to become competent with a vertical bow, including the inherent muscle memory that comes with practice and there's no comparison in the amount of time required to master a cross bow. Have seen guys unpack a new cross bow at our archery range and start consistently hitting the bull in less than a half hou,r from the time they let loose the first bolt. Fine with me, if that's what they're into?.

Have no use for a cross bow. If my shoulder is agreeable and I can shoot my compound well enough to suit me, I bow hunt. If not, then I wait for rifle season.

As for the rut, the past two PA rifle seasons I've witnessed more than a little rut activity. Matter of fact, over 30 years ago I killed a buck on opening day of rifle, that was trailing a doe in my woods. Hope his last sniff made his day, because moments after he took it, he was dead on the ground.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.