Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yes there are places where a guy can set up shop with his long range rig and have a good chance of killing an elk, but they aren't all that common, and even less common on public land outside of very limited hunting units, and even then the elk get the idea within a day or two of being shot at. I've hunted and killed elk in most of the Rocky Mountain states, the dry side of Oregon, and BC. Wherever I go, whatever I have been told or read, elk are creatures of the timber. That two inch group doesn't mean much at less than 300 yds, and the big majority of elk are encountered at those ranges.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics of the "Wall Of Shame" on the gable end of our shop of dead, UNRECOVERED elk found in GMU 61 and 62, all of them within a 30-40 minute hike of our high country place. Many of them were fresh enough to see the bullet entrance and most were shot in the front half. Two of them were fresh enough I've done "bullet necropsies" on. In both cases the bullet went "splat". I have a friend who in the past 3 years has found a 340 and 365 B&C gross unrecovered bulls in GMU61.

Casey,

Not sure if I'm reading you right but GMU61 is full of long range shooting opportunities on the late hunt. Truman from Delta killed over 18 bulls last count in GMU62 with his 700ADL 06 out to 400yds iirc.