Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by memtb

I do not think anyone suggested that premium bullets are “needed” to kill an elk! If so, they are very incorrect. A premium bullet merely offers another level of insurance! Anyone that would suggest that a fragile bullet has an advantage over a premium bullet on anything less than a perfectly placed shot is delusional! memtb

This........

And allows the opportunity for more difficult angles. Only occasionally have I had elk stand broadside and pose for me.

That is the problem. A lot of people will not pass on those "difficult" shots and end up wounding elk whether using a premium or C&C bullet.The difference between a wounding and a killing shot of a raking angle is a few inches and a wounding shot is just that,no matter what bullet is being used. Funny, I killed elk every year for 30+ years, sometimes two, except 2020 when my knees and health gave out. I can't remember ever taking one of those "difficult" shots. At most, maybe I clipped shoulder when I should have shot maybe 2" further back.There is is no sin to putting the safety back on if a suitable shot does not present itself. A person is not going to starve and more than likely if he or she is good hunter, the elk will turn to offer a better shot if the hunter has patience, or another elk will come along.I get tired of hearing hunters say,"by God I spent a few thousand dollars on his hunt and I am going to take any shot to put an elk down " or " I shoot this super duper magnum with these super penetrating bullets and I can put an elk down if I shoot it in the butt and the bullet will come out it's mouth" or. " I'm not passing on a 350+ bull no matter how it is standing.I don't care about the meat anyways".

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/07/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles