Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Bullet designs have been improved in recent decades and centuries. Doesn't mean the old stuff, like musket balls or various C&Cs, won't work on large game. But the newer stuff is better in terms of reliability and penetration. All kinds of projectiles will kill large game, dating back to 3,000,000 years ago. Buying modern bullets, or not, on many elk hunts is a cost factor that is a fraction of a thousandth of the cost of the hunt.

^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

In all of this diatribe,I don’t recall anyone suggesting that premium bullets were required to kill an elk...... the premium bullet simply an improved mousetrap! Most of us enjoy modern vehicles, homes with central heat and air conditioning, probably prepare most meals on a modern stove. Very few of us would prefer to leave these modern conveniences behind and live without them. Many of us old bastards likely embrace modern medicines that are keeping us on the grassy side of dirt! A premium bullet is nothing more than a better way to accomplish a task! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024