I've enjoyed reading his material for years, as it is inexpensive and easily found. Hell, even Haggard's Quartermain is interesting, and it's entirely fiction. Since retirement about 12 years back, I've taken to shaking out and purchasing works by Harris, Cummings, Bell, Selous, Oswell, Akeley, Burchell, Bull, Patterson, Ruark, Corbett, the Johnsons and many lesser known writers with many going back into the 1830's. Such can get expensive as many of those works are mostly found in Europe.

Half the adventure back then was simply getting there with a need to endure months at sea and walking across the continents since motor craft were yet to be invented. Interesting to note too that many considered Africa pretty well shot out by the 1870's. Things were even worse after rinderpest made its pass through the continent in the late 1800's. It's obvious now that Capstick borrowed heavily from others experiences, but to his credit, he brought material to light that most would never make the effort to find.

Other early books by explorers, seafaring captains, etc are also fascinating reads occupying several shelves as well. It is truly incredible what a goal oriented human spirit can endure.

I pray when I buy the farm, the kid doesn't simply lob my bookshelves into a dumpster.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/21.

1Minute