i would need strong "for instances", before i would call any of PHC's "embellishments", fiction. the man was such a stickler for fact. Maybe, and a very faint maybe some of the experiences written in the first person were borrowed from others but i would need proof of it.
problem is many youngsters today have no idea what life was available in the late 50', the 60's, if one can remember those, and even early 70's.
the 50's were halcyon days of opportunities for anyone that wanted adventure. 60's if you stayed out of Uncle Sams employment anything went. 70's were ok.
Peter Capstick lived as an adult in those days. it is very well documented that he spent time in many places where every day was an adventure. and every night.
he wrote about those in a manner that seems to make some jealous of his existence. get out and live.
just my opinion. i have spent many many days by PHC's side. the experiences shared are unforgettable. He off in some foreign exotic place and me safe at home.
Thanks Peter.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~