Originally Posted by jwp475

I found no post on 6-08--2007 by Toltecgriz. None

I got the date wrong, it on 07/01/07.

The following posts from Toltecgriz were in the same thread:

Posted by Toltecgriz on 07/01/07

Were you there when we had to go find him in the middle of the night because he got lost.?
Were you there when we found his high-centered Land Rover that the elephants never touched?
Were you there when we loaned him our best tracker and the first thing he did was load the little guy down with a bandolier of 75 .375 cartridges that he had to carry every day?
Were you there when they moved him out of his area because his clients had wounded thirteen lions and he wouldn't follow any of them up?
Don't get me started.

He was a good storyteller, however.

Posted by Toltecgriz on 07/03/07

I am out of town and have very slow dial-up. I will address this matter when I get back unless I have a lot of time on my hands.

Ray
It's clear you could be hit in the face with the truth and still believe what you want. It's not frivolous if what he presented as fact was in fact substantially fiction, insofar as Death in the Long Grass was concerned. Paul Harvey might call it the rest of the story, rather than just calling it gossip because you don't care. Since you weren't there, you should consider keeping your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Hatari
I hunted with Luangwa Safaris which was Capstick's first job in Africa. Other PHs around were Tony Sanchez, Joe Joubert and Paul Nielsen.

I have no interest in recounting the whole thing, but may eventually. I'm going to have to look at the book again to refresh my memory of what Capstick said. What got my dander up is someone implying I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I was in the middle of the events which occurred. Someone else can decide about Capstick's later reputation. I'm just talking about what I know and if someone is interested in the basis for his first book, well, that's what is called background.

It seems to me that Toltecgriz may have had more direct interaction with PHC than anybody else who has posted about him on this site, We all pick an expert whose views are in sync with our own, so I choose Toltecgriz as my expert on the subject of PHC, just like I picked JOC over Warren Page and JB over all of the other current gun writers.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/30/21. Reason: Added comment