Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BulletBud
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact..

Prove it.

Somebody posted on this site some years ago that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it, the PH who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC, that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

I have no direct knowledge about whether PHC wrote the stories as they happened to him, or if he took artistic license to make them more exciting stories, or if he borrowed stories from other PHs and claimed them as his own. Regardless of how much is true, how much is exaggerated, or how much is borrowed, they are still good stories. Besides, the guy has been dead for over 25 years and dead men tell no tales.

I knew Peter, and have written about here. There are a few others here that met him, knew him or interacted with him.

For anyone who wants to insinuate Peter plagiarized stories without giving credit never read his works carefully. Peter fully disclosed those stories that were 1.) narratives of events that he was not a part of and 2.) those that occurred to him. “The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.” happened to him as did "Mamba Means Death". His stories of about being a cropping and game control officer in Zambia were true. He published photos of his licenses and passports.

Peter never claimed to be the world's greatest PH, but just a lucky guy that got to live out his greatest dreams. He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up. It worked! We read them! There is no doubt that when he first apprenticed with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia (sic) that he was as green as you could be in Africa. He talks about this somewhat in his book "Safari - The Last Adventure" Said chances of becoming an African PH for an American that did not grow up in the country, with the people, speaking the multiple languages, being in the bush from or ranch from birth is nearly an impossible feat.

So I'll leave it right there for now. I liked Peter, and he was very kind and generous to me with his time and were friendly for a time until he passed. Hater will be along shortly to bash him. C'est la guerre!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo