Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I agree. I'll never make it to Africa but he made me want to do it. I've always found it "strange" that all of his detractors never came around until way after his death. He was well known and got his start with Winchester, so people knew about him. I liked his one story in Death In The Long Grass where his client said it was his first lion/leopard. Capstick was new at the time and thought "it's my first one, too". He was very self effacing.

Maybe because internet sites like this exist 25 years ago?

Since people that knew him have noted that he acknowledged that he embellished his stories, "jazzing" them up to make them better stories, I'll take their word for it.

The Tink Nathan obituary that started this thread cites his military service in Vietnam as a Special Forces officer. Given the timeline, it seems fishy to me. If PHC did claim military service that never happened, I would consider that an excessive embellishment.
You need to understand that Tink Nathan is as full of sh*t as a Christmas turkey....

So, are you saying that nothing in Tink Nathan's obituary is true or that some of it has been embellished to enhance PHC's resume? If Nathan really was such a good friend of PHC's as he claims, I wonder why he would embellish military service that might not have happened? Maybe he was just repeating what PHC told him?
One question---have you read any of his books? I'm asking because several here who have, have said that Capstick never mentioned it. Yet, someone, in one obit, says something and take it as gospel. You say that you don't want to denigrate Capstick, yet you continue to do it. Maybe Tink wasn't lying, but just mistaken?

Yes, I've read several of PHC's books, he was a great story teller..

I'm just responding to what I read on this site, nothing more.

Tink Nathan, who claimed to be an intimate friend of PHC's, wrote it, so you'd have to ask him, if he is still alive.

When a person is well known for embellishing his stories, how do you ever know where the truth stops and the embellishment begins? That doesn't mean that the story isn't a great story, but there is a difference between fact and fiction, isn't there?