Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Gents, an update of PHC's military record, my friend who is pretty good at this stuff (he's a history buff and digs through all kinds of gov't records at such places like the National Archives, etc), has not yet been able to find his record. Ideally, besides a name and DOB, the person's SSN is the best way and we don't have that. Might take a bit longer, but we'll continue to try. As an aside, where exactly (in what book?) did PHC claim military service as a Green Beret? I remember something about ROTC at UVA but can't quite remember.

jorge1, i have all his books, and have scoured them for anything relating to Military service. the only thing i have found is in his book Maneaters, page 105 he alludes to some type of military service or at least deadly conflict. i always assumed it was in the Rhodesian Bush War. no where else have i come across him claiming service in any nations military.

Agreed. I just "agreed" to look into it because it irritates me to no end, every time there is a PHC thread, the ankle biter brigade comes out trying to disparage the man when in reality, the ENTIRE African hunting industry owes their very existence to him, at least post 1980 when it was all but dead.

I never had any intention of pissing on a dead man's grave, but I don't think that it is out of line to point out that there have been different perspectives about PHC posted on this site by people who knew him.

In a thread started by The Shootist on 06/26/07, Toltecgriz posted the following on 06/28/07. "I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

He was a good story teller.".

Different people who knew him in different places, in different decades, have shared their different perspectives.

I never met the man, so all I "know" about him is what I've read, much of it on this very site.

I have absolutely ZERO issues with what you posted HERE. I just took exception to the post where your tone came across (use of the word "claim" to instill an air of non-credibility) to someone I know who is absolutely credible. It's that simple.

Your posting that I responded to suggested to me that you were defending PHC's honor, not Hatari's, since you wrote that you were attempting to hunt down his military record because you felt that he was being disparaged. I have no reason to doubt Hatari's veracity and using the word "claims" was not intended to cast doubt on him, but to differentiate between what I may believe and what I know to be factual.