I am not sure how many folks have read the 94 recommendations in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report.

The jaded part of me says it is worth reading and putting $$ signs beside the additional asks and requests for new government departments. The CBC even gets its own section with its own ask for additional money (when this happens I tend to tune out the writers). The black hole is requested to get much larger with no boundaries.

Now on the other side there are legitimate statements for corrections of wrongs -- residential schools, apology from the pope and one set of specific recommendations (71 thru 76) dealing with preservation of residential school records and cemeteries.

It is ironic that specific sections of a commission funded by the Feds related to this discussion are not only ignored by them but also fought against in the court system.

http://trc.ca/assets/pdf/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf

I would add a tidbit --- I happened over time to be at two conferences in the same centers where the TRC were holding meetings / hearings and knew a couple of people that were on the TRC. That group did not spare any taxpayer money on the disbursements or set ups at the centers -- lavish would be a choice word.

Fat cats staying Fat

Hugh