Originally Posted by 673
Only a few crocodile tears from Trudeau on this one, his tears were better to be seen flowing over the Muslim family that was run over, more votes there as Indians don't vote as a rule. It was pointed out to me that Justine may not want to talk about the residential school issue at all since his dad (Pierre) was in power for well over a decade while these schools were in operation...he did FA to stop, change, review or even acknowledge it.

I just shake my head when I hear people saying bring those responsible to justice. My uncle is in his mid 80's. The people that harmed him and his now dead brothers are long gone.

Anyone that was in a RC school system with Irish priests / Nuns from the 60's will have memories of what they were like. Not all were pleasant and the conditions were no where near what my uncles experienced.

The Liberal government of the day buried the 1907 report on horrendous conditions, the 60's scoop was a product of government policy, Trudeau the senior (the one that kept all the family brains) through Jean Chrétien added to the schools and had his own directives, Duncan Scott was a bureaucrat that implemented and drove policies that harmed many -- he is gone, the archaic Indian act is still in place and numerous apologies from various church authorities have been issued over the years (yet they continue to block access to records).

So junior will go after the memory of his namesake daddy or Jean Chrétien --- not likely.

Somehow there needs to be a permanent memorial created for these sites and at these sites. Surely if Wilfred Laurier and Pierre Trudeau can have monuments then something can be done to remember the victims.

In my travels the one remembrance monument that struck me the deepest was a tour of the Vietnam war memorial with all the names and dates. I saw friends or family touching the names and many tears. People talk of closure. Fine --- to me closure includes something tangible for remembrance that goes over and above lessons being added to school curriculum.

Hugh