Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I am not a submariner, but one scenario I can envision is that our sub was shadowing and recording the sounds of another sub. The other sub, having no clue that we were even there, proceeded to learn otherwise by blundering into ours.

I am positive that our guys knew the bearing and range of the other, but have no idea if they can pinpoint depth accurately enough to know if an approaching sub would pass under or over them by a few feet. Maneuvering quickly to get out of the way would likely reveal themselves, which is a choice they may have wished to avoid. And I will not surmise either way.

Fighter pilots say "The first one to light up dies." That refers to radar or afterburners, but I'd bet the same thing applies to subs in different ways.

As spending time as a sonar operator ,you not only know how far the boat is from you ,but what type it is by the screw signature and probably even know which one it is.Hell I am talking over 50 years ago.I can only imagine how much better it is now.As far as Old Hat goes,he sure likes to flap his gums about things he has absolutely no knowledge of.My Dad used to say better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid,then to open it and prove it.Huntz

The better then tech you assume we have, and I agree, I'm sure we have verey impressive tech, the more unimpressive the damaged sub becomes.

Some day we have to stop idolizing everything our military does and face realty and ask hard questions.

The only questions that count are the ones that are asked at the official inquiry. We will not be asked to participate and probably not even be entitled to read about it at a later date. Some future Tom Clancy may make a veiled reference to it in some yet to be written book. It makes for some damn fine speculation, but that's about it. I'm still laughing about "sum ting wong, sum ting wong". I can't stop chuckling.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.