Originally Posted by las
Anyone here think the Thresher blew up/sank on it's own, back in the day?

The Chinee are playing dangerous games in their backyard and have a man in the WH who won't do anything overtly not in China's interest.

In underwater 3-D ocean chess, one can get rooked, check-mated, or just lose a pawn, by accident or design.

We will never know.

Since Thresher was accompanied by a surface tracking/rescue ship, I think that it is more likely that it sank due to a design or construction failure than from enemy action. The surface ship would have heard another submarine in the area when it was tracking the Thresher from close range.

One of my high school classmates was a submariner, serving on the Snook, Haddo, and Bergall during his 8 years in the USN. He said that it was unusual for a salor to be assigned to 3 different classes of boats in consecutive assingments, but I don't know if that is true or just his experience. He did tell me that the Bergall was the best boat that he was on, but the crew he served with on the Haddo was the best. He said that he liked serving in the Mediterranean better than the Pacific because the shore leave was better and there was so much traffic in the Med that the crew was always busy tracking multiple contacts.