Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

I know, that comms tape and that story, preceded every SUBSAFE Program and QA School the Navy ever sent me too. They always used to say "That SubSafe Certification Manual" was written in their blood...

Been a looooong time, but I still remember filling out those SUBSAFE work packages, and staring at that hydro pump chugging away testing repairs.

Addition of the emergency ballast tank blow system was another outcome of the loss of Thresher, and there were some design and operations changes on the reactor to improve overall survivability.

Not sure there's been anything close to a serious event pointing at flaws in the the basic overall sub design since then. I'm not saying I felt bad about collecting hazardous duty pay, but the record since the 60s has been pretty good.

None of that really mitigates running into stuff though, that's a whole 'nother story.

I would say the survival after an undersea collision of the San Francisco is a testament to the efficacy of the sub-safe program. As will be the safe arrival of the Connecticut into harbor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.