Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by fshaw
And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

Hypothetically, do you think ramming an enemy sub is a pro move during peace time?
Maybe "ping" is not the term of art for submariners, but lets use it as a descriptive for warning your enemy that you have the more sophisticated tech and have the "draw" on them. I wonder if pings are used in tactical situations during peace time.

Look at this another way. Capt. X is driving his sub track Captain Won Hung Lo's boat. Tensions are high in that area and Capt. X does your "One ping only." Capt. One Hung Lo thinks, Holy Chit, I'm being attacked and reacts accordingly. One would have to assume it's a case of chit seriously hitting the fane and the first shots of what could be the last ever world war for a few thousand years. Think about that scenario for a while.
Paul B.

If you read my first mention of ping you will see I never suggested pings were done as warnings. I repeat, I used the ping comment to point out the ill-logic of intentional ramming.
So the experienced here seem to say that whatever happened was a mistake, as in unintentional, where people seem to get all sensitive is as to whether there was any malpractice involved in the mistake. Yes, I know, big balls and all, and we don't know and the official inquiry will determine that and we won't ever know. We will see side effects, though, from which we can infer.
I'm glad everyone is safe.

As only an outside observer here Hat, I’d say you’re digging an awfully deep hole. FWIW. wink

I'm not running for elected office. Never could and never would. smile