Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, it was upgraded to one of the "heavy jacket" BTs several years ago, primarily because so many hunters wanted to use it on elk.

A local friend of mine used one in his .300 Weatherby to shoot a cow elk that was facing him at around 200 yards. He recovered the bullet from under the hide of the rump.

Please clarify;
If a box of BT's have the word "HUNTING" printed on the end of the box are they of the heavy jacket variety, regardless of caliber and weight?
OR
Are there some BT caliber and weight bullets that have the word "HUNTING" printed on the end of the box that are not the heavy jacket variety?

No, not all of the HUNTING Ballistic Tips have the heavy jacket. As far as I know, the heavy-jacket models start with the 165-grain .30, and go up from there. The heavy-jackets tend to act more like Partitions--the few I have recovered retained an average of 60% in weight, even if they lost the core, because the jacket's so heavy. (There are exceptions, like the 120-grain 7mm, which has a lot of jacket compared to the core.)

The smaller-caliber Ballistic Tips tend to retain about as much weight as Hornady Interlock Spire Points--or they have over the past decade or more. The few I've recovered have averaged about 50% weight retention, give or take 10%--which is about what the few Interlocks I've recovered have retained. A good example of a high-impact shot would be the 100-grain from a .257 Roberts that I put into the shoulder of a big Montana whitetail doe (as heavy or heavier than many South Texas bucks) that was quartering strongly toward me at 50 yards. Found it under the skin at the rear of the ribcage on the opposite side, weighing 41.7 grains.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck