Granting that I hunt whitetails only, some of them get pretty big eating soybeans and corn (farm country deer), I'd rather lose a little meat than the whole deer. I started out using Sierra Gamekings and Hornady boattails, but I had some of them that were a bit too tender, even out of a mild-loaded .270, and they didn't give very good penetration, sometimes, it wasn't enough penetration, cratering on the hides and making a mess of things. Hornady's BTSP 140s were the absolute worst bullets I've ever used, Interlocks or not, they were awful..

I haven't had any issues whatsoever after switching to flat-based bullets, though. The few NBTs I've used have been quite good, too, but overall, with accuracy and everything else considered, I tend to favor Sierra Pro-Hunters now, in 130 gr. weight. They just work well on my fat Missouri deer.

I make zero claims as to them working well on anything heavier/bigger/tougher, but for a plain old easy-to-kill whitetail, I'm happy as heck with Sierra Pro-Hunters. BANG! flop, get the tractor.
As far as that goes, I get the same end results with factory Winchester PowerPoints out of a .30/30. I wish I had more experience with other critters, but deer is where I'm at, and for deer, even a Sierra CnC works well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.