mathman,

So were the 140-grain 7mm B-Tips on deer and pronghorn, at any range out to 350 yards--as far as I ever shot anything with them. They killed quickly, but I never recovered one, even on angling shots through heavy bone..

As noted earlier, Nosler got the hardness/expansion right on some of the original Ballistic Tips, but not on others. But that's common with newly-introduced bullets. Have seen it a number of times over the decades, and among the bullets were the Barnes X and even TSX, Hornady SST, Swift Scirocco (which is why there's a Scirocco II) and some of the original Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Hornady also improved their original Spire Points by adding the Interlock ring. And have found most companies will indeed modify the basic design depending on what game the particular caliber/weight the bullet might be used on. One of the mistakes Winchester made during the early days of the Fail Safe (which started out as the Talon) was making somewhat different versions for the .308/.30-06 and .300 magnums.

All of this is one reason I tend to be skeptical when anybody proclaims one or two bullets as absolutely perfect for all-around big game hunting.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 10/19/21.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck