Originally Posted by Fireball2
Probably my favorite bullet is the Speer 7mm 145 gr btsp.

The ONLY bullet failure I have ever really witnessed personally that I can attribute to the bullet itself, was with a 145 Speer BTSP.
This was three years ago, using my dearly departed father's P14 Enfield with a Douglas barrel in 280 Remington.
Big fan of that bullet and still am ,regardless.
We were in a ground blind and the buck was walking straight to us.

When I whispered said "now!", Portsider284 hit the grunt tube and the buck stopped dead at 134 yards.
I had a solid rest, and the buck was just slightly quartering to us.
The buck went straight down at the shot like it was hit in the spine.
While we were trying to get out of the blind, the danged thing up and ran away into the deep swamp ( of course!)!!
I didn't sleep that night that all and the next morning , left the Enfield at home, grabbed my trusty Ruger single shot, and took the scope off and put it inn my pack. Using the express sights on it, I tracked that buck for 3 1/2 hours, until I caught up to it and managed killed it.

On inspection when we had it hanging, the bullet hit the chest and actually broke in two, the bigger piece skidddiing aliing between the hide and plate eat, exiting out the back and breaking the hock on the right rear leg.
I have never seen anything like that before , and both Portsider and I agree that we likely will never again.
Strange, for sure.......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/20/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!