Originally Posted by catnthehat
In my Long Branch and my father's only #4Mk1 I run heavier ( 180,215) cup and core bullets at "regular " 303 velocities, but in my Ruger single shot I can run the Barnes 150 TSX's at 308 type speeds, and get really super accuracy and expansion/pass through's at well over 300 yards on deer. The longest one was a hair over 370 yards with a heart shot, deer didn't go 20 with soup for lungs!

Cat

That is the advantage to Ruger's stronger action. smile

No promises, but when I was working up loads for the 30-303, I was pleasantly surprised with 180s and Re 17. If you have some, give it a whirl. It wouldn't usually have been my first powder choice, but that's what the range is for. I had some and tried it. There's no reason why it shouldn't work for the 303 British as well. As well, it produced a little over 2500 fps from a 25 inch barrel. The bullet, by the way, is a 180 grain Remington Core Lokt PSP. This combination works well on deer and probably moose.

This particular 5 shot group measured. 0.800 of an inch, but the average for the first 15 shots was .9 or .95. Under an inch at any rate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]