I gave up trying to figure out bullets a while back and just go with what I like ! LOL
This came from shooting a whole pile of different cartridges to basically just one, the .303 British.
I know this may be hard to believe, ( I am not a gun writer don'tchaknow) but I have found that when II put the bullet where I want it to go, the deer or moose dies! Go figure!
The cartridge that I have pretty much used virtually since 2009 is the .303British in a Ruger single shot built by Greydog, but I have also used it for about 30 years before that , just not exclusively.
I have made one shot kills DRT ( or just a few yards) with bullets from 150 to 220 grains , and everything from old 215 grain C.I.L. KKSP's and Sabre Tips to modern 150 grain TSX and 220 grain Woodleighs. Barnes.

Ranges have been from 20 yards to over 360 yards ( 372lasered). Both the shortest and longest kills were with Barnes BTW.
Like I stated, every bullet killed well, went where I wanted it to- which is important, and meat loss was not overly huge.
critters were shot with lung shots and shoulder shots.

The end result of all this wondering , discussing and thinking has been that if I put the bullet where I want it to go in a certain situation ( high shoulder or lungs) , the animal will die quickly and I will have no problem finding it.
So yeah, I quit overthinking bullets a while back, come to think of it my old man told me to not worry about it about 60 years ago! LOL

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/20/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!