I have found over the years the poorer and hungrier I am, the better cheap stuff tastes!

Handful of bulk oatmeal, a small handful of raisins, as BC30 described being purchased, some water and that was breakfast quite often while attending University.

Bristoe, you won't be able to head down to the docks and buy fish straight off the boat, but buying an albacore for $1/lb, getting a 50% return on meat off the carcass, smoking it myself was about 6 times cheaper than buying it in the store.

I had access to the landlady's freezer, so during turkey sales at the holidays I stocked up on a few. Smoked turkey dinners and soup from the carcass stretched tight money pretty good. Still do it every season as it was traditional in our family anyway.

Bought 1/4 beef last spring from our neighboring ranch. $7 a lb and they tossed in the liver, heart, and tongue! I need to get after the last two for me, wife won't eat them. Price was reasonable to me, local stimulus money and good organically raised beef grazed right over our fence.

Corn, beans, and squash are said to make a pretty complete amino acid profile. Kept a whole lot of Indians alive until the pox blankets arrived.

Just made a big pot of beef barley soup the other day, still eating on it. Soupbones from that cow, an onion, big garlic clove, some carrot and celery, and a cup of barley. Goes a long ways. Didn't skim off the fat and goodies from the bones, more nutritious!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

we make most all of our own bread, not sure if it's "cheaper" once the oven use gets figured in (but it's winter so I stop loading the wood stove on baking days). Probably saves a bit as a loaf of good bread seems to run $3.50+ here.

Chicken is a staple here, and the wife usually waits until it goes on sale for the family packs, then it gets stocked in the freezer.

Mediterranean diet can be good too, if you don't mind pasta and rice with a little protein for a meal with fresh veggies and salad.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?