RJY66;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been behaving for you and you're getting the weather you need in your part of Georgia.

Here's a quick link as to the difference between eating and cooking lentils or field peas.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-split-peas-and-lentils-word-of-mouth-214986

Way, way back in the day - about '81 - we were trying to grow field peas, lentils and fava beans in our part of Saskatchewan. We did it for a few reasons, one of which was that they were not governed by a marketing board like all the seed grains were then and still might be, I'm not exactly sure. It gave us a crop we could sell when we needed to free up some cash, or that was the theory.

Back then too there weren't any soybean varieties that'd grow that far north, but if I'm not wrong they're now able to grow soybeans there.

Lentils or at least the kind we grew, would make it to perhaps 10" tall and then fall over as they ripened. That meant to swath them, we installed drag pads on the outside of the header and any stone bigger than a golf ball would break a knife. We did it with a small swather that was half the size of what I'd run on Canola.

Because of the tangling nature of the lentil vines and the stones breaking the knives, when my elder brother had been on that field less than a couple hours, he came onto our VHF band radio and said to my older cousin who farmed with us, "I'm done with this >>>>>, you won't like it either. If Dwayne isn't patient enough to do this <<<<<< then I say we disc it under... Your call Dwayne.." eek laugh

I want to say it took me two and a half days to swath that quarter section, where I'd usually knock off a half section a day with the regular swather doing Canola.

Field peas grew even taller and then would tangle up when they fell over, but somehow the next year when we did them we'd figured out how to pack the rocks in the field a little better and had a different swather setup.

Honestly I still wince a wee bit when I'm cooking lentils to this day. shocked wink

All the best to you in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"