I assume that comment was directed at me since I detailed the COW process in my original postings of my first work with the 400 Whelen.

When I first had my rifle I had neither dies nor brass. I had the rifle, still in the white. Anxious to begin working up loads the only option I had to create cases was the COW method. I loaded 16.8 grains of Bullseye under enough COW to fill the case. I used LC Match brass. And yes, I jammed a crayon in the neck to hold the COW in place. It was quicker and easier than trying to plug it with paraffin.

Quality Cartridge was weeks to months out on back ordered 400 Whelen. I had dies as well as an expanding die ordered but if I wished to be shooting my new rifle, COW was my option. And I neck sized with a 41 magnum die, using a collar on the ram as a stop to control the depth of neck sizing. Shooters will do whatever is necessary sometimes to get a rifle shooting.

Since acquiring dies and a goodly amount of Qual Cart as well as some Norma 30-06 cylindrical I’ve not needed to use the COW method. But finding myself in a similar situation again I’d use COW again without hesitation.

Last edited by mart; 01/17/22.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.