Originally Posted by HawkI
I know one fellow from here went to Africa with his 400 Whelen.

What's everyone's tally of big game they have with the 400? Bullets and experiences.

IIRC, Elmer's was 17 or 18 big game animals, which has been a goal of mine to eclipse, although it's never included elk, moose and anything substantially over 300 pounds.

I went .410 bore on my wildcat cartridge, so I could simply neck up 9.3x62 brass with no other fiddly bllsht. Identical ballistics to a 400 Whelen. The 350 grain a-frame is .410 and I like my bore to match my bullets. I practiced lots with .410 pistol bullets as well.

What I've found, is the stopping power on big rut-raged bulls, was instantaneous, using the 350 grain A-frames. Compared to bulls shot with 9.3x62 or 358 winchester, where they'll stay upright and need a second shot to tip over.

The .410 swift A-frame expands much wider than .358 and 9.3 bullets, so it's not surprising. Here's my thoughts:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...41-vs-358-9-3-on-bull-moose-observations

41 caliber cartridges are in a different fkn league than medium bores. I've since moved on to the 416 Ruger. Boxes of dgx bonded stuff everywhere, convenience is too nice to pass up. The stuff clocks 2455 fps from my 22" barrel.

Recovered 350 grain 41 compared to 300 grain 9.3. Both A-frames, both moose shot on camera:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]