Like most rifle projects this .400 Whelen is evolving somewhat.

My original intent was to take the .358 Whelen barrel off this Montana Rifle Company action, use the barrel for a .358 Norma build and simply rebarrel the MRC action to .400 Whelen and put it back into the HS synthetic stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The .358 Norma was going to go in a Garret Accur-LT stock (very lightweight...kinda like a McMillan Edge). As that project has progressed I have liked the idea of a heavier stock on the Norma for balance and recoil reduction. I was a little nervous about the lightweight stock holding up to a big boomer also.

I called my gunsmith today and we are going to use the HS stock above for my Norma (Model 70 Classic Stainless action) and it will be one of two dedicated "Alaska" rifles...with the other being a lightweight .35 Whelen.

I am still going to use the MRC action with a #4 stainless Pac-Nor for the .400 Whelen but the goal now is to pick up a nice Winchester post-64 Super Grade stock and get the metal cerakoted in something that will look close to blued. I see this rifle being used more in Texas for pigs then Alaska and a nice walnut stock for a classic cartridge seems like a good fit. I can always toss it in a synthetic down the road if I decide to use it for a foul weather rig.

If anyone has a well figured model 70 stock laying around gathering dust I am officially "in the market" smile