I must be obsessed with the 400 Whelen…

I’ve had two built that were disasters. One ridiculously expensive switch barrel on a GMA action and one on a Sako 85. The first builder was over his skies and promised the world, he had some great sample rifles but he couldn’t deliver the work? The second was just the wrong action choice, the smith told me he had built one on a Sako 85 but he latter admitted it was a 35 Whelen and the magazine just doesn’t work well with that fat a cartridge.

I’m having Mark Basner build me one on a Win 70 and I know he knows those rifles and I’m sure he’ll get me a great 400 Whelen in a safari express style rifle with synthetic stock, express sights, barrel band sling swivel, and a 1-8x24 Swaro z8i. I’m confident it will be amazing. It’s going to Alaska with me in 2024.

But … I still jonesing for a classic wood and steal 400 Whelen on a 1903 Springfield to bring to Africa. I hunt Africa twice a year and it would be really fun on pigs and PG as well as hippo and buff.

If you were having a 400 Whelen built on a 1903 Springfield today … what smith would you use?

Last edited by jcberiau; 06/16/23.