Originally Posted by gunner500
Many Thanks for posting the pics Sir Ron, and also the offer to draw down some 416's to 411, i appreciate that very much, that partition at 2255 should be a mighty blow striker, speaking of velocities, i dont know what your magic formula is for converting to true muzzle velocity, if 2267 fps at 18 yards away, i was wondering what the true velocity/energy numbers would be, that fired hull on the chrono is a thing of beauty, the primer is perfect, no bolt raceway smear, no firing pin protrusion, the case fell from the chamber like they always have, and pockets remain tight, casehead measurement before and after firing remains negligible.

Notice the load recipe workup, at 68gr i was about to fall into a node spot and wasn't even looking for one in a 250 yard hunting rifle, 65, if i would have loaded 66, 67 and 68 grains gave a rise of only 20 fps per grain of powder, i knew when i picked CFE-223 i'd most likely have a winner with the 400 Whelen, the powder is very compact and dense, packs really well in the case, and to my mind any powder with a burn rate slower than Varget in what is a near straight wall hull will indeed behave like a very slow burning powder in an overbore cartridge.

Thanks for the tip on trim length, i'll go back and trim all fired cases to 2..480 inch and call it good for i bet several more firings, the cases shouldn't grow much at all with that abrupt shoulder, speaking of shoulder, i'll take .459" all day long as i only size .411" length of the neck on fired brass.

That rifle is a little 9.5 lb all up with 6 rounds on board, accurate, great functioning machine, my old 'Smith did a fine job as usual.

Thanks again Sir,

Gunner

Sounds like CFE works excellent Gunner. I kinda wonder if Leverevolution isn’t the same or nearly the same powder. Every time I run across data for about any cartridge they’re both used in it’s damned near a spitting image. Might be another option too. Having options these days doesn’t stink.

That’s a slick rig buddy.

Semper Fi