Originally Posted by gkt5450
Hastings,
Back in the mid 70’s we hog hunted out of Pearsall, SW of San Antonio, Tx. There were brought in some high-strain Russian stock to intentionally breed w ferals. Well they developed what they wanted and were and are big and fierce. Much more so than just run of mill ferals, which often as you know have a lot of production hog genetics.
I see that similar in an operation up in Michigan w the bruisers. Cold weather notwithstanding.
I’ll bet some of the South Texas guys know exactly what I’m talking about.

The Russian swine are tough and aggressive and apparently do the majority of the breeding. I would post pictures but don't know how. They are pretty distinctive with a snout longer than a domestic but shorter than the Razorback feral hog.. The Russian is pretty large in his shoulders compared to his smaller hips. They have a mat of curly matted hair next to their hide with serious thick guard hair sticking out from that. They are equipped to survive. There isn't much they won't eat. I shot a 20 pounder this afternoon and I won't be a bit surprised if his 4 surviving litter mates don't return to eat him. They were unaccompanied so I assume mama pig is dead. If they hang around I'll trap them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."