Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg

Dude you MUST BE living right.
They may sound like fun but you don't want them. Imagine a herd of backhoes destroying your property. They really mess up fields and even peoples yards with their rooting.

We had a neighbor who wasn't good with fences. He had a couple of sows and about 10 or 12 babies in our yard over a couple of days. They tore the crap out of the yard. My dad had a conversation with him and he finally got them rounded up. It only took a day or 2 and the yard was a mess and so was some of the pasture. That was 40 years ago and that was the last time I saw pigs out. They were domesticated stock and i really doubt they would of survived over the winter. Their genetics were all wrong for the really cold weather. Our pigs in the really cold weather never left the hog house except to eat out of the feed trough twice a day and then right back in.

If you have pigs in Michigan, they are no longer domesticated. They are several generations feral and come up from the south over the course of several years.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.