Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ewc
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

I remember when that happened, only a few miles from the house.

We have some hogs in the 500lb range, bump into them a couple times a year. Can be a little unnerving with a turkey gun in your hand. Nothing I can load and really haul off, especially by myself, and I dont want them laying dead in my food plot during deer season while they rot away although I know coyotes can make quick work of smaller ones. I have certainly contemplated shooting the real big ones in the gut and letting them run off. It wouldnt bother me one bit. I saw the top of a big tree shaking about 75 yards inside the woodline one morning off a powerline, few minutes later a cowsize hog walked out. They have no place in nature.

Last edited by killerv; 01/20/22.