Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I would never do it on purpose, but I wonder how many of those shot from helicopters are maimed and gut shot etc...

Good point.

I imagine most hog hunters have gut shot some runners after dumping hog #1 in a group, but at least they're trying to make kills and will likely put another round in a wounded pig if they can.

I think most folks would say there's a difference when somebody is intentionally gut-shooting every animal to let them run away so they don't have to deal with them on-site. Probably not much difference to the pig though!

It happens. I killed ten out of one bunch a couple weeks back and was pretty sure I’d shot an eleventh but couldn’t find any sign of one. Couple days later I saw one out there and went after it. After I killed it I found that I’d hit it low in the shoulder and missed the vitals on the first rodeo. I always try to make good shots on everything and I’ll use an extra bullet to put down the wounded. But I don’t go to any huge lengths to trail them up once they get in the thickets either.

Very best reason for getting a silencer for me was the way they confuse pigs and let you get more out of a bunch. That and the PSSHHH———Thwap! sound when you hit one. I’ve sometimes hear the bullet land when I would have thought I missed and walked over to find a dead pig a short ways away.